Monday, June 28, 2010

Ode To A Summer Day

Bowl of cheerios, splash of milk
Spoonful of sugar on top.
Sunday paper, World Cup soccer,
Barefoot trip out back to check the garden
Buzzing flies, and fans and
Is the air cranked high enough?
Shower, sundress, sandals.
Let me brush your hair.
Fine, fine, you do it.
Earrings, Bibles, White car! Load ‘em up!
Country roads past corn and cows and beans
Gravel parking lot, smiling faces
Warm embraces
I love you Lord with all my heart
With all my soul
With all my mind
And with all my strength.
I believe in warm hearts and active hands.
Leftover Thai lunch, downtown library trip
Letter to Lemony Snicket
Sunday rest and a Cormac McCarthy afternoon.
Painting masterpieces with Uncle Dave’s homemade wooden palette.
Chicken on the grill,
Broccoli rice casserole with EXTRA cheese.
American Girl Board Game
Washing clothes, an eternity of dirty dishes.
Sudsy bath, watermelon shampoo hair charades
Giraffe!? Triceratops! No I’m Elvis!
Snuggly blankets, shiny teeth Bible story,
Bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment