Sunday, October 4, 2009

At The Copa...Copa - Cabana...

So Big Blue, my eight year old Taurus, was side-swiped this week. As Big Blue heads to "the shop," the collection of CDs transfers to our borrowed car. (Thank you shout out to my mother-in-law for the loaner...) Absentmindedly, I grabbed a CD from the stack, put it in the car's CD player and hit the road. The music was a collection of John Denver hits.
I will tell you right now, I feel it is a sign of superior parenting that both the Bug and the Pea can belt out, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" and "Country Road, Take Me Home..." while simultaneously playing 'air fiddle' and 'air banjo' in the backseat. Now don't get me wrong, they can also sing HSM I, II & III hits as well as Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana songs.
Growing up, my brother and I were mercilessly plagued with the likes of Barry Manilow hits on road trips. To this day, we can harmonize with the best of 'em: "Her name was Lo-la...She was a show-girl...with yellow feathers in her hair..." We teased my mother every time she put on the album or cassette. We'd roll our eyes. We'd give each other the knowing, "Here we go AGAIN," look. But before we knew it, we were tapping our feet and humming along, and then bursting out in full song, "At the COPA...COPA CABANA..." Ah. Good times.
I ran an errand by myself today, and the John Denver CD was playing in the car. Now that I'm older, I pay more attention to the lyrics. His songs are fun and lovely. "You Fill Up My Senses..." brings tears to my eyes. "Hey, it's good to be back home again..." makes me lonesome for my folks. But from this point forward, when I hear the Country Boy words about "Cakes on the griddle..." I can't help but think about the Pea, in the back seat, explaining to a carpooling friend, "Not Birthday Cakes, silly...it's PANCAKES!"

No comments:

Post a Comment