Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tiny Heart Whose Blood Will Save Us...

Each Christmas I give my parents a photographic journal. A “Year In The Life of The Mikovch Family,” so to speak. Technology makes it a breeze to download hundreds of snapshots. With the click of a button, those snapshots are published within a bound book. A few days ago, Andrew was looking through 2009’s photographic journal. As I was searching for wrapping paper, I heard…” Wow, I had forgotten that…” “THAT was this year?” “Hey, remember when…”
This was a fairly uneventful year for us, as far as years go. No births or deaths in the immediate family, no traumatic events, no huge crisis situations. And yet, hundreds of experiences, dozens of “firsts.” First horseback ride, first pair of pierced earrings, first day of third grade…and the list goes on and on. As the year draws to a close, I often find myself feeling empty. Drained from giving my all, day after day. Even at the end of a “normal” year, I’m worn out. I look to scripture for perspective. The story of a child, sent to give us hope. Hope and joy and an abundant life, here on earth and beyond.
Can you imagine a photographic journal of a year in the life of Jesus? Can you imagine Mary’s journal entries…The Angels Who Sang of Your Birth…The Night We Fled At Midnight To Escape Death. The more I think about what Mary, Joseph and Jesus must have endured, I can hardly bear it. And yet, they constantly gave glory to God. Regardless of the situation, regardless of the time of year, or whether they felt drained or empty.
During the holiday season, when I begin to feel overwhelmed, I often sing the words of my most favorite…albeit nontraditional…Christmas song: Welcome To Our World, by Chris Rice.

Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You've been promised, we've been waiting
Welcome Holy Child
Hope that you don't mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long-awaited Holy Stranger
Make Yourself at home
Please make Yourself at home
Bring Your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled
Word now breaking Heaven's silence
Welcome to our world
Fragile finger sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorn
Tiny heart whose blood will save us
Unto us is born
So wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy
Perfect Son of God
Welcome to our world.

The song gives me such perspective. Perspective about our Savior, given to everyone. God’s child, all wrapped up in a baby blanket on Christmas morning. Glory be to God…

No comments:

Post a Comment