Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pirate Pea And The Sword-Fight-Balloon-Tennis-Match


Today, the Bug tromped off to school, however, the Pea has been quarantined for 24 hours due to Strep Throat. I must selfishly admit it was nice to have some quiet play time with my littlest one. Even as I type, my elbow is resting on the quilt also known as the roof of her Fort. The quilt is strung out between the arm rest of the couch, the computer desk chair (which the Pea managed to move while I wasn’t looking) the piano bench, and a tall basket. Blankets cover the floor beneath the quilt, along with juice boxes. She made a bit of a window where I was allowed to deliver several requisite items…a sliced kiwi, a baby doll, some handwritten “mail” (I was instructed to roll the letter up like a Bible Scroll).
We brought down baby dolls and played house, although that didn’t last long…”Mom, you don’t play dolls as good as Sissy. I guess I’m just used to her voice telling the dolls what to do next…”
We played some board games and I may have kind of sort of let her win one time I could have won. After cleaning up the games, I loaded some clothes in the wash. When I returned to the living room, Pirate Pea awaited me.
In the few moments I was busy, she had trotted upstairs and donned a pirate vest, black leggings, black bandana, pirate hat. On her shoulder perched a stuffed parrot and she was carrying the inflatable Pirates of the Caribbean Sword (of Happy Meals past…) Her other hand held a single yellow balloon… origin unknown. Pirate Pea convinced me the ship on which we were sailing was an educational vessel. One which taught exclusively: Tennis. (OK) She immediately challenged me to a game of Pirate-Sword Fight-Balloon-Tennis in which we bat the balloon back and forth with our inflatable swords. The multi-colored parrot sat where the “net” would be….if we had a tennis net… and acted as a tiny referee. Call me crazy, but it was actually quite fun. As the Pea tends to do, she changed the rules as we went along to suit her, “If the balloon touches the wall, you lose a point! If the balloon touches the ground, you lose a point! I know I hit the balloon toward the couch, but I don’t lose a point for that!”
All was well until our trusty yellow balloon popped. I went up to the attic in hopes of retrieving another balloon. I searched our gift wrapping supplies (and decided our attic really needs to be straightened up) to no avail. Not to be thwarted, when Daddy arrived home, I popped over to the grocery for a bag of balloons.
Pirate Pea was much relieved to see the bag of one hundred assorted balloons. Mommy was not so relieved to participate in the inflating of one hundred said assorted balloons. Nevertheless, it was a delightful day – as far as quarantined days can be – and I see much Pirate-Sword-Fight-Balloon-Tennis in our immediate future.

1 comment:

  1. I like your posts. You're such a great Mommy. I'm going to stick you onto my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete