Saturday, May 15, 2010

Clanging On Pans & Shouting Out Windows

Shout joyfully before the LORD, the King. (Psalm 98:6) My children are very deliberate in their praise to God. The Bug will often write prayers, or compose songs of praise. Once when I was changing her bed sheets, I came across some paper… torn from a spiral notebook, complete with the scraggly edges… where she had written out prayers of forgiveness, and guidance and petition. It’s not uncommon for me to find her surrounding by overturned pots and pans. She beats on her drum set, chanting whatever words of praise happen to enter her mind at the moment.
The Pea is forthright, as well. Sometimes, during evening tuck-in, we’ll finish reading a story and she’ll say, “Mamma, I feel like we need to worship, NOW.” At which point she leads a song of praise, or prayer or both as we sit on her bed in our pajamas. (Knowing full well, if we do not worship, the Pea will not be able to fall asleep). It’s something she HAS to do. She can’t keep silent, she needs to worship.
Recently, I’ve been reading the gospels concerning Jesus’ return to Jerusalem, betrayal, trials and crucifixion and resurrection. When He entered Jerusalem, riding on a donkey, a crowd of followers began to praise God in a loud voice. The Pharisees (the religious leaders who were more concerned about following various rituals/laws than they were about loving their God and neighbors) called out, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!!” But Jesus answered them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.” (Luke 19:40) As we were driving along, the Pea mid-conversation, said, “Mamma, I need to roll down the window!” I thought she wanted some fresh air. She rolled down the window and shouted out, at the top of her lungs, “I love you Jesus! I love you God! I love your creation!” and then she rolled the window back up. “Mamma, it’s just something I HAD to do, right now.”
Oh that I would be so filled with wonder of God that I can’t help but shout my joy before the LORD…

No comments:

Post a Comment