Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bug In A Box a.k.a. The Pea's Pit Crew


The doorbell rang and the kids thought for certain a neighbor had stopped by to play. I opened the door in time to see a delivery truck drive away. And, yes…joy of all joys…sitting right there on our doorstep was a package. And not just any package, a perfectly rectangular, brand-spankin’ new box. The Bug and the Pea jumped up and down and reached out to grab the package. (Seriously, when did this pack of wolves invade our home?) When I saw the box was addressed to me, I assumed it was sent “in care of” me…as I am house-sitting. It’s not my birthday, so I opened the box sensing instructions would be inside. Maybe I was to wrap and send as a wedding gift, or deliver a baby gift or something of the sort.
The Bug helped me peel back the packing tape and the Pea took out a huge strip of bubble wrap. Which, thankfully, held the wolves at bay while I investigated further. (And I found a card, and it was a sweet gift just for me from a dear, dear friend, who TOTALLY shouldn’t have gone to the trouble she did and I am absolutely treating the next time we savor Pad Kee Mao.)
The kids plead for immediate ownership of the box. And I pondered. I love saving boxes that will end up housing the world’s most perfect Christmas present. And this was, quite a box, as I’ve mentioned. Nevertheless, the stars in their eyes told me I mustn’t mess with fate and I gave in to their request. The Pea scampered upstairs and brought down her doll baby carriage. The Bug followed behind with a box of Tinker-Toys.
My mind raced back to the days of refrigerator box rocket ships. My brother and I and 8 magic markers. Coloring control panels and monitors and ejector seat buttons on the inside of a giant cardboard tunnel. By the time I turned around, the kids had disassembled the carriage and created a kind of Soap Box Derby Car upholstered with bubble wrap. The Pea was wheeling herself around the dining room table, and the Bug was hunched down ready for a Pit Stop.
And I had to smile.
Because, as some folks say, The More Times Change, The More They Stay The Same…

No comments:

Post a Comment