Sunday, July 11, 2010

Porch-Step-Sitting-Stance


I will take my stand at my watch post and station myself on the tower, and look out to see what He will say to me. Habakkuk 2:1So if you’ve been anywhere near me within the past few weeks, you know I’ve been crazy about Habakkuk. In fact, I’ve probably shared this verse with you via Facebook or e-mail or “snail-mail” letter. It has been so encouraging to me. Generally, I avoid the prophecy books of the Bible like the plague. I skip over them as if they are much too difficult for simple me to understand. The word itself, prophecy, conjures up images (in my mind) of fortune-tellers who lived a long time ago, and what does that have to do with me and two kids and a stack of loaded laundry baskets cascading down my washer? So, as I said, I usually flip past those books and head for something I can sink my teeth into…a meaty chapter of Romans, for example.
My Bible study girls know that this verse stuck out to me. The image of this man, literally standing watch, listening to hear God’s response to his complaint. (Which was, by the way: “God, if you’re so fair… then why are you letting this horribly wicked nation punish this kind-of wicked nation?) The part that I find compelling is not that he is spilling out his accusations and anguish… because my God is big enough to handle all questions and feelings. But the part that gets me, is that there is no doubt in Habakkuk’s mind that God will respond. Habakkuk is so very sure, that he has stationed himself at the town’s guard post so that as soon as God speaks, he will be there to receive the message. He knows instructions are coming, it’s just a matter of God’s time, so Habakkuk is going to wait, to make himself completely available to hear. I LOVE that!
I’ve felt very convicted about my prayer life lately. Oh, I’m great about spilling out my heart’s wishes and others’ needs and my desire to be a servant. But I’m not so great about discerning God’s response as to how He would like me to proceed. I usually pour out my worries, doubts, thanks, praises, confessions, supplications, and then immediately make my own plans. (I’m decidedly a people-pleaser and a fixer and an “I want everything to be done yesterday” kind of gal.) God and I are working on that, on this whole “surrender” gig of placing everything in His very capable hands and then waiting…. listening… praying… immersing myself in the Bible… and then proceeding once I discern His voice.
So, the Bug and the Pea love guests. LOVE them. Few days go by where kiddos from the neighborhood, or school aren’t playing in our house or yard. But it’s not just children my girls love, they love visitors of all kinds. The mail carrier, the paper delivery guy, the pizza delivery boy, grown ups stopping by, relatives passing through town. The Bug and the Pea are porch sitters. When they have advanced notice that someone will be popping over, they station themselves on the porch steps and wait.
It doesn’t matter if we know that Grandma and Granddad just left their house and it will take them a few hours to get here, the Bug and the Pea are stationed and waiting. They don’t want to miss out. They want to be there the very moment the car pulls in the driveway. No doubt in the kids’ minds that Grandma and Granddad will arrive, it’s just a question of when. (Of course this gets a little trickier in the winter time when the girls want to wait on the ice covered porch and I must coerce them into sitting beside the window and only making periodic checks outside in the blistery wind to see if guests are in sight.) And heaven help Grandma and Granddad when the car door opens and they are tackled with hugs and kisses by two very cute, but ornery little girls.
Nevertheless, I’ve decided I want to adopt a porch-step-sitting-stance as I wait upon God to speak. I want to be so certain that He will respond, to me personally, that I will station myself as if on the porch awaiting a guest I know – with certainty- will arrive, it’s just a question of when. And I want to have such a sense of urgency to hear God’s voice, that not even one moment will slip past unaware. And the bit about tackling with hugs? Somehow I think genuine praise and worship equates…

No comments:

Post a Comment