Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Yellow Bus O' Mercy...


It’s truly the most wonderful time of the year. Back to school. Sending two cute, but ornery, little cherubs back to the hallowed halls of learning. The time in which my sanity begins to return and some semblance of peace and quiet settles upon me. Ah...silence…deep cleansing breath. OK, that wasn’t much of a dramatic re-enactment because the children are actually home as I write this. They have constructed elephant trunks out of pipe-cleaners and are tromping through the house in search of peanuts. I must say, for two relatively small children, they do sound a lot like elephants. Now the youngest announces, “Look! I’m training her for the circus!” I watch as the Bug rolls a rather awkward somersault and is rewarded by the Pea with a bowl of pretzels. All righty then. But I digress….
The girls are especially excited about the school bus this year. They are on, and I quote, “The Party Bus!” Complete with speakers in the back, star stickers on the ceiling, tinted windows and, gasp, air conditioning. (I know! Here in New Orleans in August. We weren’t used to air conditioned buses in Kentucky, it’s certainly worthy of writing home about.) Unfortunately, I am informed that the “disco ball” was removed from the bus last year. Oh well, easy come easy go.
The husband was listening to this exchange when he proclaimed in true “grumpy old man” tone: “Well! In my day, the only thing the bus driver carried was a 2 x 4!” This commentary induced immediate questions from the children. Why Daddy? They wanted to know. Why did your bus driver carry a wooden board and not a disco ball? (Which, considering we’re talking about the Stayin’ Alive era of the 1970’s is actually a valid question. HA)
Anyhoooo, my new favorite part of the day is bus arrival time. I deposit two uniform-clad youngsters, laden with lunch boxes and back-packs at our designated neighborhood intersection, i.e. bus stop. (I am reminded of walking with my little brother one block up and one block over to our bus stop when I was in 3rd grade. Too bad I can’t send my babies toting along on their own these days. It was quite a feeling of independence walking to the bus with our classmates/neighbor kiddos.) They squeal when they see a yellow image in the distance. This first week of school bus routes are still being perfected. In other words, the bus has been running uncharacteristically behind. The children are not quite certain that the bus WILL actually be picking them up regularly, and it’s always a surprise when the bus does actually show. On this particular morning, the first squeal revealed only a rather broken down pick-up truck filled with building materials. I was tempted to load the girls up anyway, but decided to wait until the actual school bus arrived.
Once I send the kids packing, I head back to the house and get busy unpacking. I know, I’m like a broken record. But THIS week, THIS WEEK, I tell you, I am going to completely finish the inside of the house and visitors will be able to walk from one end to the other without tripping over moving boxes and piles of junk. Good Will has become my new best friend. I know the drill. Pull up, unload, put beside the counter, take a pre-printed receipt, mark my zip code, head back to the house for a second load.
In the afternoon, at the allotted time, I head to the bus stop to pick up the returning cherubs. I watch as they bounce off the bus, wave to their friends, figure out that the bus driver is signaling them to MOVE out of the middle of the street and find me. “You’re not going to recognize the office!” I say excitedly. I’m all about affirmation, and there’s nothing like hearing a compliment to reaffirm my hard work. We walk into the house, the kids head to the office, and announce, “Gosh Mom. It looks exactly the same as when we left this morning.” WOW. I got nothing. I have sweated, toiled, lifted, sorted, unpacked, organized for 7 consecutive hours. I mean, this morning human beings could not physically fit into the office, and now it is organized such that my OCD self does not immediately begin to hyperventilate at the mere sight. Oh well. Perhaps the husband will notice.
If he can get past the little elephant being trained for the circus with the bowl o’ pretzels. And I’ll begin to count the moments until that bright yellow Bus of Mercy comes to pick up my two legged animals tomorrow morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment