Saturday, February 13, 2010

Yippee-Ty-Yiii-Oh-My-Stars!


Ever since the commercial aired, the Bug and the Pea have been itching to see the Rodeo. So, for a Valentines Day treat (albeit non-traditional), we 'bit the bullet' and purchased 4 tickets.
The husband took the kiddos last year, so they knew what to expect. This was, quite literally, my "first time at the rodeo." I must say I had a blast. My dearest friend, LTP, had hoped to join us, but wasn't able as her sheep were lambing. (Although, as she will tell you, I adore all cows... my most favorite cow is the Holstein. No Holsteins at the rodeo, but it was still quite lovely).
The events were spectacular! Folks of all ages were roping steer, lassos were thrown over the necks of the animals, and their feet were tied. (The Pea worried that the cows were in pain. However, her fears were allayed as she watched the cows kick off the ropes, bounce right up and trot off toward the gates.)Some of these fellows would ride in on a horse, slide off the horse onto a cow, grab it by the horns and wrestle it to the ground. Which, in itself was a feat...and yet the events were timed! All of this took place in a matter of seconds.
The kids liked watching the ladies lasso the cows. Some of the women were the size of my girls. It was wild to watch as these teeny-tiny ladies in pink cowboy hats trotted off on these giant horses and threw ropes around the necks of steer.
Intermission was certainly fascinating. The radio station called several couples from the audience to the participate in the: "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" contest. WOW.
The most stunning part of the rodeo was the bull riding. I found myself involuntarily screaming "OH MY!" as the men were hurled off the backs of these bucking bulls. (I bet the teenagers in front of me were texting each other, that clearly it was my first time at the rodeo!)
As we walked through the squelchy mud toward the car, we passed the section of the exhibition lot where the trailers were parked. The horses from the rodeo were tied to the trailers to keep them safe from the passing cars. The horses munched on straw and their owners congregated around, trying to stay warm in the 30 degree weather. The Bug complimented everyone she passed who looked to be a part of the event. "You did such a nice job today!" "I loved your horse." (The Pea was riding piggy-back on Daddy all the while announcing LOUDLY what she saw, "Look it's a white horse! Look it's a brown horse! Look it's a muddy puddle!")
As we loaded up the car, the Pea affirmed in her best 'I told you so' voice: "See, Mamma, we knew you'd have fun at the rodeo!"
And I must admit, she was right...

No comments:

Post a Comment