Thursday, February 25, 2010

Quilting Bee...I Mean Bug & Pea

Through conversations with my grandfather (Dad’s Dad), I learned that my great grandmother was quite a gifted seamstress. Apparently the wealthier ladies in the eastern part of Kentucky (during the 1800’s) would hire her to create dresses. These ladies would describe the type of dress they desired, and my Mamaw would design the dress and sew the fabric to fit perfectly. She never needed a pattern.
My grandmother (Mom’s Mom), Nanny, creates the loveliest quilts you’ve ever seen. She learned from her mother, who was a quilter. Sometimes Nanny pieces together scraps of material to make crazy quilts, or a log cabin pattern, or wedding ring pattern. Sometimes she takes a single cream colored fabric and quilts designs with thousands upon thousands of stitches. I have always been in awe of her gift.
About 10 years ago, Nanny taught me how to make a quilt. How to sew fabric pieces together into squares, how to assemble the squares, how to weave the tiny needle in a rocking stitch. I must admit, I was an amazing disappointment. Several moves, and several children later…I’ve begun several quilts, but have yet to finish one. Sewing is apparently NOT my gig.
My Mom could tell you that. She’s a wonderful seamstress who made clothes for me and my brother when we were younger. Mom made a valiant effort to teach me how to sew by hand, and on a sewing machine. I can kind of sew on a button, but that, unfortunately, is the extent of my practical and artistic ability.
I’m watching my daughters and wondering if this great gift has skipped a generation. I have my back propped against the wall as I type. The girls are each on a corner of The Bug’s bed. Scrap material is spread out between them. (From my former…non-successful quilting days…) They each have a needle and some thread and are working on doll clothes. A snip here and a snip there and a stitch to sew the fabric together into a contemporary dress for Barbie. The Bug is weaving in some beads and a pipecleaner trim on the clothing.
The kids are learning about the Appalachian Mountains in school…preparation for Appalachian Night next month. The Pea is telling me about instruments used in the mountains, spoons and washboards. She stitches some more on her project. I’m wondering if this is what winter evenings were like for my family in the mountains…in the 1800’s, 1900’s, now? Stitching and chatting after supper.
I realize I’m being a technological hypocrite as I type on my wireless laptop…but I love that the television is off. I love listening only to little ones discussing the day as they create clothes for their dolls. Maybe someday Nanny will teach them how to quilt, and they’ll create art of their own. I love that, in a few minutes, as we tuck the kiddos into bed, they’ll be snuggling up under the quilts passed down generations.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog makes me nostalgic too. My grandmother was a quilter as well. There was a quilting rack of a thing that hung over the bed I slept in at her house. I was always afraid it was going to fall on top of me in the middle of the night! lol but she made beautiful quilts.

    It is interesting that those things that brought families together like quilting, reading, listening to stories... seem to be things of the past. Whenever my family ends up in the same room with the TV off, playing a board game or just quietly reading, it makes me smile.

    Thanks for the blog! You're a great writer.

    Shelli Stinson

    ReplyDelete