Thursday, September 3, 2009

Always, Always, Always Clarify...

Many important conversations occur between the Bug and the Pea from the backseat of our car. They climb in, buckle up, and often...if my prayer for a moment of peace and quiet has been answered by the Almighty...they forget I'm even there.
Yesterday, on a drive home, they were contemplating what "kind" of girls they were - when given three options. Would they describe themselves as Tomboys? Girly Girls? or Foxy Girls?
Silently, I kept driving.
The Bug piped up: I'm probably a Tomboy. I like sports and to run. In the olden days girls couldn't play sports like they do now, so they were Tomboys.
The Pea: And girls couldn't vote, and in the long time ago times, only boys could be in plays. Because of Elizabeth the First, she was a queen, ya know.
The Bug: So are you a Tomboy too?
The Pea: No
The Bug: A Girly Girl?
The Pea: No
The Bug: Then what are you?
The Pea: I'm a Foxy Girl!
Me: Oh, really? What IS a Foxy Girl?
The Pea: A girl who can run faster than a boy, vote and act in plays on stage!
(Moral of this story: Before you panic... always, always, always clarify!)

A few weeks ago, The Bug and The Pea were accompanying me to the grocery store. I told them to get on their flip-flops and load up in the car. I overhead the two conversing.
The Pea: I know how to get boys to like you!
The Bug: Be mean to them?
(A brief side note...I had earlier informed the girls that sometimes when a boy teases a girl, he does so because he likes her...)
The Pea: nope
Me: (Sweet merciful heavens, what is going to come out of her mouth?) How DO you get a boy to like you?
The Pea: BOOTS. Ya gotta wear boots.
And she proceeds to zip up her black knee length boots in the middle of July...
(Moral of the story: before you panic ... always, always, always clarify!)

No comments:

Post a Comment