Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Code Blue In The Library ICU

I'm settling in to my home away from home, sacred place o' books. And not just ANY books, children's books. Thousands upon thousands of children's books line the shelves of our friendly elementary school library. The books are rapidly becoming a part of my family, under my watch and care. My responsibility to keep track of, to protect.

As each class descends upon the library, the books leave their shelves and travel home with children on an adventure....so that the children, themselves, may travel on a virtual adventure. I gather books back on the shelf, only to see other books leave on new journeys.

Today I learned how to repair worn, torn book covers. Gingerly, I worked with the covers to mend them. My work table became a Book Hospital as I performed surgery on the well loved books. I tended them slowly and gently, replacing ripped plastic with shiny clear covers. Securing the covers with special tape, and reinforcing each "call letter" ensuring the book would be returned to it's proper home.

I recognized, fondly, one of the books in the Library ICU. The Horse And His Boy, by C.S. Lewis from the Chronicles of Narnia. The Chronicles were the first books I ever read...ever. I smiled thinking I might be preserving this copy for another little girl or boy. So that they, too, may fall head over heels in love with reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment