Sunday, September 13, 2009

Public Potty World

Why go to an amusement park when it is, apparently, JUST as much fun to visit the nearest public restroom? This is a quandary I've often pondered. I keep telling myself, 'It will pass..., it's just a phase.' And then I realize I've been telling myself that year after year.
The Bug and the Pea are drawn to public toilets like moths to a flame. Before we leave the house, we always ALWAYS go potty. Nevertheless, by the time we arrive at our destination, "Mommy, I promise I went at home, but I gotta go potty again...BAD." (Oy.) So we all traipse off to the potty and the fun begins.
Today was my birthday. It was an absolutely lovely day and after church we went out to eat. I picked the place...my favorite restaurant. What a treat!
We had barely darkened the doors, when the announcement was made that we HAD to go to the potty.
"Why," I ask, "Must we touch absolutely everything in our path?"
"What do you mean, Mommy?" says the Pea as her finger traces along the gritty tiled wall until she reaches the stall door and thoroughly examines the lock.
"Stop touching everything! You'll get germs!"
The Bug replies, "Mommy, I can't get this foot trash can thing to work, so I'll just use my hand to push this pedal thing down here..."
"What in the world do you have that needs to be thrown away?"
"Well, nothing..." As she reaches out to manually close the foot operated trash can with both hands.
"Let's just all use the potty, wash our hands and be on our way."
I won't go into depth about the many parts of the toilet that both the Bug and the Pea touched during the actual process. Sufficed to say, that I was glad when everyone had properly relieved themselves and we headed to the sink.
"Wash your hands!" was my proclamation. "Lots of soap and water!" I say as I turn the faucet with my elbow.
The girls reach for the soap dispenser. They manage to touch all over the container, the wall beside the container, and finally the lever that releases the soap...
At which point we discovered, sadly, that the dispenser was completely,
empty...

No comments:

Post a Comment