Saturday, September 19, 2009

Krazy Kiosks

Today I had a Grown Up Girls Day with my friend MKK! (Shout out to my sweet friend!) Each year, we travel to Nashville and do some early Christmas shopping. Every now and then we treat ourselves to gifts. We peruse the aisles for beautiful blouses, dresses, skirts. Unfortunately for me, my sweet friend is about 80 pounds (soaking wet) and wears a size negative 2 petite. So she heads to one side of the store, while I head to the other. Nevertheless, we always meet back by the check-out counter with our 'finds'.
The kiosks lining the walkways of the mall never cease to amaze us. We've perfected "walking with a purpose" straight past the vendors trying to catch our eye. If our gaze happens to stray toward the kiosk, it's too late. We are accosted. "Mizz...let me ask you the one question. Those your real nails? You have the beautiful hands. Yez. Try theese special lotion."
We try being nice, "No thank you." We try looking down. We try talking loudly to each other as if in the midst of an amazingly important conversation. But sometimes, ya just have to look at the kiosk. It's like a train wreck. You KNOW you should look away, but you can't help it.
Today, in the MIDDLE of the mall, we saw: 1.) a lady having her eyebrows plucked (I am NOT making this up)...2.) a man getting a back massage...3.) a woman trying on hair extensions...4.) a grown man who had strapped rollerskating wheels to his tennis shoes...wheels that lit up multi-colored while rolling along...5.) a lady getting her hair straightened...6.) a man in a see-through coffin-like contraption getting a water massage. And all of this was BEFORE we even passed by the Food Court area, with legendary kiosks that we are particularly careful to avoid - like the one where the high school kid throws a boomerang-y like helicopter through the air. (Mark my words, one of these days that stinkin' helicopter is going to bop me upside the head...)
Nevertheless, it was a very productive day, and certainly fun to catch up with my sweet friend as we wandered from store to store. Toward the end of our day, I managed to 'check off' several folks from my Christmas Shopping List. You see, as we were heading out of the mall, we ran into the cutest little kiosk...

No comments:

Post a Comment