Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Script For Posterity

Nightly tuck-ins with my youngest are quite the event. I still believe firmly that the soul of an 80 year old resides in my little Pea's body. Bedtime conversations generally range from spiritual warfare to the 'fall of man' to philosophical debates on the flesh versus love. (And those were the topics we touched on when she was a kindergartener...Oy.) Tonight her thoughts drifted to the future, not really theological or philosophical at all. Nevertheless, I thought I might script tonight's conversation for posterity. I know my sweet child will feel differently a decade from now...in fact, my husband and I are banking on it! But let the records show that these words came from her mouth.

The Pea, upon realizing that I haven't lived in the same house, or even the same city, with my parents for over 19 years...
Pea: Mommy, are you glad that you live with me so that I can cheer you up?
Me: What do you mean sweetie?
Pea: Since you don't live with your Mommy and Daddy anymore...
Me: Of course I'm glad you live with me!
Pea: I'm always going to live with you!
Me: When you get older, I bet you'll want to have a husband of your own and maybe children! Won't you want your own house then? (Merciful heavens...when you turn 18 you are outta here!)
Pea: No, I'm not going to have a husband, and if I have kids, you can raise them! You know how to feed them and get their clothes on and change their diapers.
Me: You'll love going to college and living in one of those pretty buildings! Maybe even in the ADPi house like I did!
Pea: I'll go to college, but I'll live with you.
Me: Of course honey. (When pigs fly! Your Daddy and my cruise ship sets sail the moment we drop you off freshman year...)
Pea: And then after college, I'll get a job as an actress because they make lots of money. And then I'll buy a house. Next door.
Me: I would love that sweetie pie! (Fabulous...shouldn't be too hard to get a high paying job as a movie star...)
Pea: Give me big hugs Mommy! We're gonna live together forever! Even when you're really old!
Me: I can never have too many hugs from my Sweet Pea!
(Soooo NOT lookin' good for the home team!)

No comments:

Post a Comment