Saturday, August 29, 2009

Star Struck: Letter to the Bug and the Pea

Every time I blink, another year passes. I watch as the two of you stand before the mirror on a Sunday morning. Helping each other button church dresses, slip on sparkly earrings, try new lip gloss. I lean back against the door frame, and remember endless days of "Princess" dress up. Make believe stories of mystical magical times. Fairies with wands, witches with spells and the Frog you just knew was a Prince. Fate and destiny and stars aligning for the sake of true love. I'd definitely advise against kissing frogs. But the 'stars aligning' part? That part is real. The stars led me to your Daddy.
You're probably picturing the Wise Men and baby Jesus, am I right? How the Wise Men from the East followed the star to Bethlehem, to worship the Lord. Well, it didn't quite happen like that with me and your Dad. Often fate and destiny reveal themselves in a very ordinary way. We make regular choices on a regular day, and our lives are changed forever. Just because the choices are normal, that doesn't mean they are any less magical. I'm certain God played a big role in matching us up. He knew, even before we were born, that our paths would cross and we would fall in love. God is in the business of placing people in our paths for a reason, it's up to us what we do with that opportunity.
Your Daddy moved to the southwestern part of Kentucky in August of 1988. That very same week, I moved to the northwestern part of Kentucky. Looking back, we figure we had to have crossed paths at school soccer games, but the stars weren't yet aligned. When I was 17, I registered for classes at the University of Kentucky. I declared a Business Major and I suppose it was less by chance and more by test scores that I ended up at the University for early registration. I sat in a small desk in the midst of a gigantic classroom. I fiddled with my pencil, hoping my expression didn't betray my nervousness. My schedule was complete, I needed only choose a science credit to satisfy undergraduate requirements. The advisor suggested Astronomy, sounded good to me. I signed up without a second thought and headed on to the next session.
Fast forward to Astronomy Fall midterms, I always managed to walk into class at the same time as those identical twins! Fast forward to February, I head into the cafeteria for a quick bite to eat. I make a bee-line for the one empty chair in the place. Of course it's a table with the twins and another fellow. (Why are we always at the same place at the same time?) "Oh, this is Drew. We grew up together in Bluefield." I look up from my tray and my heart skips a beat. I'm lost in his syrupy brown eyes, dark curly hair and impish grin. He has a laugh that comes from the depths of his soul. I would love to say something, but can't remember how to speak.
Fast forward to Fall semester, moving into the dorms. My roomie and I chose the air conditioned co-ed dorms. In the sweltering Kentucky sun, air conditioning is a luxury worth requesting. Our room is on the first floor, the boys head past our room and up a flight of stairs. I look up from unpacking, it's HIM. HE lives here, too.
Accounting 101, my personal nightmare. I absolutely have to pass to continue in Business. Enter Drew, blue button-down oxford, Levi jeans, down the stairs and through the hall. "You know, I'm not bad at accounting. I could help you out." Gulp. Can't speak. It's so hard to concentrate on accounting. I can't tear myself away from those eyes, from that grin. First time I ever scored below an A.
Goodbye Dean's List...
Hello love...

(to be continued!)

No comments:

Post a Comment