Friday, August 7, 2009

Sting-y Things

Last night, our long lost reptile store owning, bird watching, zoo keeping, self-defense airline attendant friends stopped by for a visit. They have three of the most adorable children I have ever met (quick 'shout out' to LE, GE, and EE!) Immediately, all of the children zoom to the back yard to play. My eldest literally turns around and zooms back inside, followed by the other four. She is screaming bloody murder that wasps have inhabited our playset. My first inclination is to tell my child to "get a grip." Generally, if K spies an insect a mile away, she will bring it to my attention. (While E will grab a net to catch said bug...) However, with guests in the house, I decide to venture to the swings and set all minds at ease. As I approach, I see that there is...indeed...a wasps icky nest inside the small "roof" of our playset. After gagging to myself, I usher the kids inside and send the husband out for some Raid.
Returning with the Raid, he douses the nest (of course, night has fallen by now, I'm really not sure how he actually saw the nest?). Nevertheless, I wait for the death of -what I assume- will be at least 50 (ick) wasps. After my children have left for school, and husband for work, I (bravely?) shove my guest (who is brave himself, and breeds snakes for fun) out the door with the remaining Raid toward the playset. He re-covers the nest with the gooey poison and I head to the garage for garden implements.
I send my guests on their way, don a sweatshirt (the nearest to a bee-keepers netting that I can find), gloves, a hoe, and head back to the nest to finish the job. I scale the slide in my sandals, shorts, and sweatshirt...wave to my neighbors, who know that I am crazy and do not question what I am doing. I use the hoe to knock down the nest and then pick up all of the dead...or almost dead...wasps. I re-spray the inside of the playhouse for good measure. Teetering on top of the playset with my gloves, trash bag, raid, and hoe, I prepare for my descent. VICTORY is my cry!
"Buzzz....buzzz...buzzz..." I scream, thinking I had thoroughly killed EVERYTHING that inhabited the icky nest. With a vengence I aim the Raid and spin around...and blast the living daylights out of a...
housefly.

1 comment: