Monday, August 24, 2009

Spiritual Magnetism & A Car Ride To First Grade

I suppose it's a sad state of affairs, but many thoughts swirling around the mind of my first grader baffle me. I give her only honest answers, and many times I concede "I just don't know, sweetie." (Once, on the drive to school, she asked yet another confusing philosophical question. Upon my admission of ignorance, The Pea matter-of-factly commented, "You really don't know too much do ya Mom?" But I digress...) Nevertheless, she challenges me to further ponder spiritual questions in the hopes of conveying some semblance of understanding.
Tonight's "tuck in" was no exception. She threw out a metaphor I'll have to explore further. Love and human flesh and instinct and choice, on many different levels.
The Pea tackled me with a Good-night hug. (Complete with giggles, the best kind!)
"Oh, what a super hug that was Little Sweet Pea!"
"Of course Mommy! They always are, because of the magnets!"
"The magnets?"
"Our HEARTS Mommy" (Insert eye roll from first grader...)
"Our hearts?"
"MOM!" (Insert, 'You really don't know too much do ya?' look) "Our hearts are the magnets that bring us together. That's why we can't help but give really good hugs!"
Sometimes I could gobble that precious little girl right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment